Transportation companies find themselves in a unique position over the last few years. Multiple factors -- a recession, a recovering economy, rising fuel costs, and changes in supply chain management -- have all converged into greater demand for efficiency, economical prices, and more environmentally-aware freight transportation options. We've met challenges by becoming a partner in the EPA’s SmartWay Transport Program:
“SmartWay Transport is an innovative collaboration between EPA and the freight sector designed to improve energy efficiency, reduce greenhouse gas and air pollutant emissions, and improve energy security… Companies that participate in SmartWay Transport programs save money, reduce fuel consumption, and are recognized for their social responsibility and leadership.”
Dependable continues to strive for green initiatives through freight transportation, and ranks among an elite group of companies who meet the SmartWay Transport standards as evidenced by our high rating. We also spend time and resources achieving the highest fuel efficiency standards possible and have equipped our tractors with these fuel efficiency solutions:
- Eco flaps allow air movement through mud flaps while greatly minimizing water and debris from other vehicles and cutting wind resistance.
- Auxiliary Power Units (APUs) - These anti-idling devices save fuel and reduce emissions by keeping the truck engine shut off while stopped.
- Standardized Company Speed Limit - We set truck speed limit at 63 mph to reduce fuel consumption and to comply with rules for the driver and public safety on our highways.
- Highly-rated drivers with exceptional safety records
- Liquid natural gas (LNG) powered tractors
Dependable has also equipped our warehouses with the following items in order to reduce our carbon footprint and promote sustainability:
- High efficiency light bulbs installed in warehouses
- Electric powered forklifts
- EPA compliant tractors
- Our Los Angeles warehouse and trucking terminal is totally solar powered and is the largest industrial solar panel installation in the United States.
- We recycle boxes, computer equipment, and much more.